Speed or repair shop to replace clutch assembly??

Thread: Speed or repair shop to replace clutch assembly??

Registered User VFMC Member Since: sep 2016
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    Shelby GT500
    Engine
    5.4L
    RWHP

Speed or repair shop to replace clutch assembly??

I'll soon need a new clutch assembly (pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch disc) in my 2007 Shelby GT500 six-speed.

Trying to keep it "all Ford". At 16,000 miles, had it done at Kennedy Ford Conshohocken. Cost $3500 + $1500 for flywheel they said was blue from overheating and couldn't be resurfaced. So that was $5000. I've been unhappy for 2 years with it because there's this intermittent little chirping noise from in the clutch/tranny area when I'm sitting in neutral with the clutch pedal out. Never heardnitn before the repair was done. Intermittent, so I recorded it. Complained and they said all they could do was have a tech take it all apart & check for defects, and if they didn't find anything defective I'd have to pay the $1000 labor for disassembly/assembly. They wouldn't listen to the noise or allow the tech to discuss with me or hear the recording.

I'm in the Norristown area looking for a trustworthy high quality speed shop to do this work. I'm displeased with the dealer's unwillingness to try anything except the brute force approach to the chirp problem.

Where can you recommend from personal experience?
    Thanks!

President
    Membership Chairman
    Webmaster
    Newsletter Editor
    VFMC Member Since: Apr 2006

Downloads
    Uploads

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    GT Convertible
    Engine
    5.0L
    RWHP

Re: Speed or repair shop to replace clutch assembl

I would give Dan at Mustang Barn or Tony and Paula at Freedom Motorsportz a try.

Mustang Barn: https://www.mustangbarn.com/

Freedom Motorsportz: https://www.freedommotorsportz.com/

You are not the first GT500 owner I have heard of having clutch issues.

Good luck with it.

WMR3936

Registered User VFMC Member Since: sep 2016
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    Shelby GT500
    Engine
    5.4L
    RWHP

I consider myself to be an overall gentle driver. I live near Norristown but don't race around town, although out on the highway (422, turnpike) I run her up to 90 or 100 (thank you radar detector!). It is my everyday car. I do a fair amount (sadly) of stop & go driving (like blue route & 95 or Schuylkill expressway in rush hour traffic to a flyers game). I bought the 2007 Shelby GT500 6-speed 4 years ago at 4,000 mile on it in showroom brand new condition. The original clutch wore out at 16,000 miles. I'm always very clutch-aware and try to minimize wear.

Stupidly I drove the car locally for a while after that 1st clutch slip so I figure that slippage is what caused the flywheel to turn blue from overheating & needing replacement instead of machining it. this time she goes off-the-road and into the shop immediately after that 1st slippage to hopefully save the flywheel.

At Conshocken Ford it was $3500 to replace clutch assembly (pressure plate, throw out bearing, hydaulics, clutch plate) + $1500 for flywheel. Requires dropping entire one-piece exhaust system & trans to get in there.

Any thoughts from your many conversations with other owners if this wear out at 16,000 is reasonable? I realize it'll vary completely on how you drive.

I'm approaching 31,000 miles now so I'm planning ahead for another clutch repair.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts & time.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 2007 GT500 with 8500 mi with no clutch problem (not my daily driver). I do know when the 2007 first came out, some had issues with the ceramic clutch. Before you drop a ton of money I would suggest researching the Team Shelby forum. I'm pretty sure if you search for threads about the 2007 clutch you may find the answer your looking for. There maybe a different clutch kit out that is better than what Ford used. BTW, 16k on a clutch is NOT reasonable. Good luck

https://www.teamshelby.com/

Ken

5. The Following User Gives a Big Thumbs Up to ksmach1 For This Post:

17 Coyote (03-08-2020)

Thread Information