Engine
    4.6L
    RWHP
    440 BHP

If you see this car.....

It's ME! Haha feel free to say hi!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drummerdude82 For This Useful Post:

TBDOPEY22 (07-03-2017), Yellow Submarine (06-30-2017)

Board Member
    Newsletter Editor
    VFMC Member Since: May 2007

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    GT 40th Anniversary
    Engine
    4.6 L
    RWHP
    1/4 Mile
    12.502 @ 111.86

Re: If you see this car.....

Is that intentional? It's certainly different.

"Guaranteed a good time in 12.502 seconds or less"

Registered User VFMC Member Since: 03/03/2011

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    Roush Sport
    Engine
    4.6L
    RWHP
    440 BHP

Yes, completely intentional. It's modeled after a car that is in a drag racing game that I play. I was actually flown out to the headquarters in California as a consultant. Long story.

MCA Regional Director VFMC Member Since: Apr 2008

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    Bullitt
    Engine
    RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerdude82 View Post
    It's ME! Haha feel free to say hi!
    Looks cool. Saw it Wednesday at the shop.

Board Member
    Newsletter Editor

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    GT 40th Anniversary
    Engine
    4.6 L
    RWHP
    1/4 Mile
    12.502 @ 111.86

Cool. Is that painted or a wrap?

Board Member VFMC Member Since: Jun 2013

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    GT
    Engine
    1/4 Mile
    13.565@105.69

Cool! I'll keep an eye out for you!

Sent from my semi-smart phone...

Secretary VFMC Member Since: 06/01/200

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    V6 W/ Pony Package
    Engine

Looks awesome!!!!!! Jackie always looking for good story's for the newsletter

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    Roush Sport
    Engine
    4.6L
    RWHP
    440 BHP

Quote Originally Posted by TBDOPEY22 View Post
    Looks awesome!!!!!! Jackie always looking for good story's for the newsletter
    It's actually quite the story, but I'm not a paid member anymore.

Treasurer
    Membership Chairman
    Webmaster
    VFMC Member Since: Apr 2006

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    GT Coupe
    Engine
    4.6L
    RWHP
    1/4 Mile
    11.795 @ 119.05

You need to fix that.

VFMC Member VFMC Member Since: May 2016

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    GT Convertible
    Engine

Cool Re: If you see this car.....

I would still love to hear the story, member or not. Did they copy your graphics, and is it painted or wrapped? It is very cool...

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    Roush Sport
    Engine
    4.6L
    RWHP
    440 BHP

If you insist!

It all started when the stripes on my car cracked / faded due to the car sitting outside for the first 3 years I owned it. (the joys of apartment life) I wanted to replace / redo the stripes, but wanted them painted instead of vinyl. Due to rock chips, blemishes, etc - figured if I'm going to have the stripes painted, might as well repaint the entire car and make it look pristine. While researching the cost of painting a car and what to look for in a quality shop, I came across a car that was done as a tribute to the Blue Angels (google Blue Angels Mustang) that has a blue chrome metallic paint. I instantly fell in love with it. I contacted the company that painted the car and inquired about the cost to have my car painted in the same fashion. They quoted 20 grand. The cost is mainly attributed to the amount of labor (there is over 600 hours in the Blue Angels car the guy told me). That shot that idea down for a few reasons...first and foremost, cost. If I put that kind of a paint job on my car - the very first rock chip, bird poop, you name it....I'd cry like a little kid who just dropped their ice-cream cone. Second, I drive my car and enjoy it. It's not a trailer queen, so I can't see the sense in spending that kind of money for a paint job just for it to get ruined. As you all know and can relate to - if you want to keep a car pristine around here....you better just park it in a garage and leave it there. I didn't buy and build my car to what it is just for it to sit in a garage.

I decided I was going to have the car repainted black and the stripes painted on. The best quote I received for a quality job was 6 grand. So, I kept that in the back of my mind, as right around that time I found out my wife and I were expecting....so much for doing anything to the car. Any of you who have kids - you know how expensive it is. Had I spent the money on the car at the time....I would have ended up with a freshly painted car, a child, an empty wallet, and a divorce. :)

So, with all that going on - there is a mobile game that I play called Racing Rivals. The premise of the game is it's all about drag racing, in which you can bet cash, or run for pink slips against opponents. There's also weekend events called turf wars in which teams from all over the world race one another in an effort to rack up points. There are rewards given to teams depending on where they finish in the rankings. The teams are made up of 20 people. If you win the first place spot, the entire team receives a one off car that, unless you are on that team, no one else in the game will ever have. The game is pretty big in the sense that, according to the company running it now, they have an average daily user-base of about 300,000 players.

I'm a moderator of the forum that is dedicated to the game. Recently, the company that owns the game (Glu Mobile) released an update to the game that unfortunately did not go well. It cost the company a lot of money, and a lot of the development staff was let go. Glu then brokered a deal with a new development company, Carbonated Inc. Once that was completed, Carbonated reached out to me and a few other folks who are well known in the game (they have big Facebook and Youtube followings), and asked if we would come out to Carbonated's studio in California as consultants. They wanted to talk to us - the guys in the trenches that know the game in and out - about the game itself. Things like the strengths of the game, the weaknesses, how it can be improved, how it can be marketed, etc. I said - you want to fly me to California so that I can sit down and brainstorm with you guys, and also see how the game is actually run? Hell yes! And to think - all those years of my parents saying "playing those video games will never amount to anything"...it got me to California and back via 1st class flights! :)

So, off to California I went to meet the staff at Carbonated Inc. While I was there, I made mention to the head of the company that there is a car in the game that I really, really like the graphics on. So much so that I would love to paint my personal car in a similar fashion. He said "why not wrap your car?" Prior to him saying that, I never even thought about wrapping my car. He then proceeded to have one of the lead designers in the game pull the photoshop files for the specific car I liked, and gave them to me. I asked about copyright infringement or anything prohibiting me from putting the graphics on my real car, and was given the all clear. We even talked about sponsorship (as once the car was done, I'd basically be advertising for the game being that anytime anyone asks about the wrap, I'll bring up the game, potentially bring more players into the game which in turn could lead to more revenue for the studio, etc). Those discussions are still ongoing. I have to say - it was absolutely fascinating to see how a video game is run. There is so much to it and so much that goes on behind the scenes that it's mind blowing....and it's just a mobile game. I can't imagine what the studios that handle Xbox and Playstation development look like!

Once I got back to Pennsylvania, I researched shops in the area that offer wrap creation / installation, and I found a shop called Royal Customs right here in Pottstown. I did a lot of due diligence on them, and after finding a lot of positive reviews, and realizing they have clientele that have cars worth more than my house (Aston Martin, Mclaren, SRT (Viper), etc), felt they might do the kind of work I was looking for, with the attention to detail that I was expecting. I figured if they can keep folks with Mclarens and Aston Martins happy, chances are my expectations would easily be met. I dropped by the shop and sat down with Joe, the owner, and talked with him about my idea and what it would take to make it reality. He was really excited about the idea and was eager to get the ball rolling on it. He took everything I had (photos, photoshop files, etc) and sent them to his graphic designer. Come to find out that the design had to be re-created by hand due to the resolution of the photoshop files being too low. When the designer blew it up to the size that it would be when printed, it was very distorted. Bear in mind, the graphics were made to look good on a cell phone / tablet....not on a real car. So, the designer spent 2 weeks recreating the design by hand. Once that was complete, he sent me a "proof" to review so that we could be sure the design was "right". Once I gave the all clear, off to the printer it went.

The printing process took about a week (printing and delivery of the wrap to the shop). Joe called me when the wrap came in, and we set the appointment for the install. The install itself took a week and a half due to the amount of prepping the car needed (removal of the cracked stripes, sanding down of blemishes, removal of lights, trim, bumpers, grille, etc). Throughout the installation process, Joe would send me pictures every other day of the progress and would make sure I was happy with what was done up to that point. If I had any questions, last minute changes, etc....he was right on top of it. Fantastic guy to work with!

Once it was done, I went to pick the car up....and my jaw hit the floor. It came out better than I had envisioned. I was almost afraid to drive it for fear that something would happen to it on my way home - someone not paying attention, yapping on the phone, etc.

Now that the wrap is done, I take it to any and every show I can. Interestingly, Joe has kept in touch, and has told me that people have reached out to him and asked if he's seen my car (as they weren't aware that he did the wrap). Apparently the car is very popular, and is causing him to get a lot of calls from folks that want to do their own custom designed wraps and paint jobs. It's awesome because like I said, Joe was absolutely fantastic to work with on this project. To see that it's generating business for him is great. I highly recommend him / his shop if you want to have any custom work done. They can do pretty much anything - paint, wrap, custom lighting, suspension, engine upgrades...you name it.

I've attached a few pictures as well of the car in various stages.

So, that's the story. I still have other things I want to do (new wheels, big brakes on the front)....but I have fine wine tastes, and a water budget.

Front Shot.jpgSide shot.jpgPrep 1.jpgPrep 3.jpgOriginal Model.jpgRear shot.jpg

13. The Following User Gives a Big Thumbs Up to Drummerdude82 For This Post:

TBDOPEY22 (08-18-2017)

Secretary VFMC Member Since: 06/01/200

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    V6 W/ Pony Package
    Engine

Looks sweet.. I saw it today on West High St, nice Viper parked behind it.

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    Roush Sport
    Engine
    4.6L
    RWHP
    440 BHP

Quote Originally Posted by TBDOPEY22 View Post
    Looks sweet.. I saw it today on West High St, nice Viper parked behind it.
    Thanks! I had to help push that viper...battery is dead and they couldn't get it going, even with a jump box. So, we rolled it back and then pushed it up next to my car so that I could get mine out. Got home 5 minutes before the skies opened up (which is awesome being that my engine bay is open now).

16. The Following User Gives a Big Thumbs Up to Drummerdude82 For This Post:

TBDOPEY22 (08-22-2017)

Board Member
    Newsletter Editor

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    GT 40th Anniversary
    Engine
    4.6 L
    RWHP
    1/4 Mile
    12.502 @ 111.86

Great story Steve! Plus you have a great sense of humor. If you ever decide to re-join the club, I'd love to use some or all of that in a "My Mustang" story in the newsletter.

18. The Following User Gives a Big Thumbs Up to Mustang Jackie For This Post:

TBDOPEY22 (08-22-2017)

VFMC Member VFMC Member Since: 08/27/20

Mustang Information
    Year
    Model
    GT/CS vert.
    Engine
    1/4 Mile
    12.9 @ 110

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Jackie View Post
    Great story Steve! Plus you have a great sense of humor. If you ever decide to re-join the club, I'd love to use some or all of that in a "My Mustang" story in the newsletter.

Thread Information